The Director, Ombudsman role is a senior position within the Risk and Compliance function. The Ombudsman team is the highest-level customer service function, handling regulatory, congressional, executive and escalated customer complaints, as well as serving as an objective reviewer of all loan modification denial disputes. The Director is responsible for managing the Ombudsman department work-flows ensuring all applicable regulatory and customer complaints are responded to in the most professional and expedient manner along with coaching and developing all members of the team to better serve our customers. The ability to manage work-flow process to deliver outstanding complaint management quality results, working with Compliance Management, interface with external stakeholders/regulators to articulate company and borrower positions, policies and procedures, while providing a superior customer experience are critical for success in this role.
Job Functions and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Examples below:
- Oversee and maintain adherence to complaint management policies and procedures
- Identify and resolve complex regulatory and/or customer issues.
- Collaborate with stakeholders, executive leadership and regulators on escalated complaints and resolutions;
- Create initiatives to support department goals and objectives
- Develop priorities, metrics and standards for goals and achieving program success.
- Work in conjunction with other departments and third parties to execute responses and create process efficiencies
- Provide feedback loop to line managers for complaint trends, determining root-cause and escalation to ensure appropriate process remediation is achieved.
- Represent Ombudsman during operational reviews, audits and exams conducted by internal, client and regulating bodies.
- Create crisp, concise and powerful discussion documents/presentations to communicate performance results in relation to internal policies and Federal and State regulations and action plans. Present materials/presentations verbally to executive level leadership, clients and regulating bodies.
- Deliver leadership and direction to team in assigned area in executing procedures and strategy for breakthrough levels of improvement in customer satisfaction, process capability and quality.
- Partner with leadership from Servicing and Originations to deliver process improvements to continuously improve complaint, inquiry and other response processes capturing key customer input.
- Provide innovative ideas to continually build metric management, change facilitation, problem solving and results oriented skill sets into operating business resources.
- Develop succession plans for all levels of the team and ensure training and development programs are in place to execute on them.
- Develop a high performing diverse global team. Ensure appropriate staff levels are maintained. Provide coaching and feedback regarding individual and team performance. Actively manage performance and hold people accountable for results and behaviors.
- Ensure employee training aligns with investor, regulator and client requirements.
- Provide frequent, honest coaching and feedback. Structure assignments for developmental growth.
- Leverage unique skills of team members; promote diversity and actively work to ensure team is engaged.
- Develop and manage metrics and dashboards to communicate actionable performance results.
- Ensure high quality and timeliness of written borrower communications.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience:
- Bachelor's Degree preferred
- Minimum of 5 year's experience within a regulated financial institution, in roles with increasing levels of responsibility and managerial experience.
- Minimum of 5 year's experience directly managing employees.
- Direct experience working in mortgage servicing and/or origination required. Knowledge of the industry's regulatory and legal requirements/framework required
- Strong communication and presentation skills. Demonstrated experience delivering presentations to internal and external parties. Capable of creating crisp, concise and powerful discussion documents/presentations to communicate concepts, strategies, findings and action plans to internal and external parties.
- Demonstrated ability in understanding and transforming operational business processes and applying technical/system knowledge to support continuous improvement.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Software including MS Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, & Word.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate, coach and hold team members accountable for high performance metrics. .
- Proven attention to detail, with excellent analytical, critical thinking, work-flow process management, problem solving, and personal organization skills.
- Work independently, unsupervised with tight deadlines
- Excellent project management, facilitation and time management skills.
- Strong team player, inclusive & open minded approach.
- Ability to communicate effectively to direct and motivate team and others, maintaining a persuasive and credible presentation style at all levels of the organization.
- Successful execution of cross-functional strategic initiatives and significant change projects in a variety of business settings and situations.
- Able to facilitate and drive change in a fast paced and â€œever changingâ€ environment leveraging his/her strong interpersonal and influencing skills.
- Objective, credible challenge -Able to make difficult but fair decisions, have tough conversations and deal with difficult situations with confidence and respect for all involved.
- Ability to travel as necessary
Company: PHH Mortgage
PHH Mortgage, a wholly owned subsidiary of Ocwen Financial Corporation, is one of the largest subservicers of residential mortgages in the United States. PHH Mortgage provides servicing solutions to companies who own mortgage servicing rights and offers portfolio retention services to extend and enhance customer relationships.
Located in Mount Laurel, New Jersey, PHH has been providing mortgage lending and servicing solutions since 1984 and is dedicated to responsible and ethical practices while delivering an exceptional customer experience. We strictly focus on subservicing and portfolio retention allowing our diverse professional clients – representing some of the largest and most recognizable financial and wealth management institutions, investors of MSRs, regional and community banks, and credit unions – to concentrate on their core businesses, while providing borrowers with exceptional customer service throughout the life of their loans.
Adhering to the highest levels of risk and compliance, built to bank-like standards, we build relationships with our clients and their customers to promote a philosophy of retaining “customers for life.” We strive to be a natural extension of each client’s team, helping them to keep their expenses down, borrowers satisfied and service levels up while meeting today’s regulatory demands and changing market conditions.
Ocwen is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.