The Conventional Underwriter reviews, conditions and underwrites mortgage loans in accordance with established policies and procedures and appropriate guidelines; examines all documentation for accuracy and completeness.Job Functions and Responsibilities:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- Review and analyze the mortgage loan application to ensure eligibility, accuracy, completeness, and compliance with internal and regulatory guidelines to minimize risk factors
- Review all required loan data, reports, and inspections to insure the collateral is acceptable to investor and the company
- Responsible for making independent decisions regarding acceptance and risk of loans according to HUD, company, and investor guidelines.
- Provides final approval underwriting of mortgage loans.
- Completes all required paperwork and forms in a timely and accurate manner; prepares required forms
- Sign off conditions in a timely manner set by management
- Work with staff and management to find solutions on escalated loans
- May be requested to make recommendations for improving Internal Audit’s policies and practices
- Manage loans by using all functions of Encompass
- Effectively communicate underwriting decisions with processors and advisors
- Maintain high level of customer service and communication with other departments
- Other duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following education and/or experience:
TRAINING / LICENSING REQUIREMENTS:
- Two to four years related underwriting experience or equivalent
- Must have mortgage industry experience – strongly preferred in mortgage field.
- Thorough working knowledge of real estate documentation, policies, compliance, and procedures
- High level of proficiency with mortgage loan processing and underwriting systems
- Commitment to excellence and high standards
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills
- Ability to manage priorities and workflow
- Versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work within constantly changing priorities with enthusiasm
- Acute attention to detail
- Proficient on computer programs required for position
- Excellent customer service skills
- Proven ability to handle multiple projects and meet deadlines
- Good judgment with the ability to make timely and sound decisions
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions
- Bilingual skills a plus
- Must pass the Company’s Background Screening process prior to beginning employment. Additionally, as a condition of employment, you may be required to pass client-specific background check requirements or Federal/State licensing requirements, if applicable.
Company: PHH Mortgage
PHH Mortgage, a wholly owned subsidiary of Ocwen Financial Corporation, is one of the largest subservicers of residential mortgages in the United States. PHH Mortgage provides servicing solutions to companies who own mortgage servicing rights and offers portfolio retention services to extend and enhance customer relationships.
Located in Mount Laurel, New Jersey, PHH has been providing mortgage lending and servicing solutions since 1984 and is dedicated to responsible and ethical practices while delivering an exceptional customer experience. We strictly focus on subservicing and portfolio retention allowing our diverse professional clients – representing some of the largest and most recognizable financial and wealth management institutions, investors of MSRs, regional and community banks, and credit unions – to concentrate on their core businesses, while providing borrowers with exceptional customer service throughout the life of their loans.
Adhering to the highest levels of risk and compliance, built to bank-like standards, we build relationships with our clients and their customers to promote a philosophy of retaining “customers for life.” We strive to be a natural extension of each client’s team, helping them to keep their expenses down, borrowers satisfied and service levels up while meeting today’s regulatory demands and changing market conditions.
Ocwen is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.